Saturday, January 30, 2010

on my bookshelf

I love me a good book. Here's what's on my bookshelf presently and from the recent past: the good, the really bad, and the boring.

1. Into the Wild (John Krakauer). For some reason I'm totally drawn toward adventure stories, especially if they take place on some remote, cold mountain (see last selection). In a sick, train-wreck kind of way. I read this one in November, mostly while soaking in my hot bathtub. No freezing in the wilderness for me!

2. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay). This is one of Jamie's favorite books. I started reading it during Christmas break - it is NOT a quick read. However, he promises me that it's totally sweet, so I'm going to pick it up again during mid-winter break when I can sit and read and not fall asleep within two paragraphs. can't wait!

3. Life Cycle of the Career Teacher. For my grad class. Ri-ve-ting.

4. Remember Me? (Sophie Kinsella). I'm a little ... not I ashamed of reading this book, but this is a genre to which I thought I'd never return. Ridiculous plot line, painfully predictable, but boy is it an easy read. So when I have a maximum of 5 minutes of reading time before I fall into a dead sleep, I can still get through 10 pages. guilty pleasure!

5. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (JK Rowling). I read this a while ago to get ready for the movie to come out...for the 2nd time. Love me some HP!

6. Miracle in the Andes (Nando Parrado). Remember my sick obsession with wilderness adventures? Well, this is not a wilderness adventure, it's a wilderness nightmare...the story of the plane crash in the Andes (remember Alive?). Crazy and terrible but really makes you appreciate that safe cozy bed/bath/couch where you're reading.

7. The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (Steig Larsson). This book isn't pictured because I'm a total nerd who listens to audio books. Don't judge me, I commute! Ok, and I listen while I sew. and maybe at the gym too. Just shows you how gripping this book was! if you love a good mystery, pick this one up.

off to download the sequel right now...

2 comments:

Dressler said...

Have you read Into Thin Air by Krakauer? SO good. Also I love Power of One. I want to read it again when you are done with it!

Molly Wiecks said...

Yes, I've read that - super good. you can have Power of One as soon as I'm done. Now that I have two people reccommending it I know it's worth sticking with it. :)