Friday, August 31, 2012

banana bread worth talking about

I figure this banana bread is worth blogging about since I make it...oh, about every week.  Oh man I love it so much.  It's called "Jami's Banana Bread" and NOT after my Jamie.  This recipe came from Miss Jami Hinshaw, a friend from my college days.  She would probably be surprised to know that it is still such a part of my life.  OK, this is the part where I share the love with you.

Jami's Banana Bread
2 large brown bananas
1 C sugar
1 egg
4 T butter, melted and cooled (OR applesauce or whatever.  I used greek yogurt, thanks to this handy pin)
1 1/2 C flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.  It makes a pretty small loaf, so if you have something smaller, use that.
3. In a bowl, mash the bananas. (Tip! Microwave the mashed bananas on high for a bit, until they're really steamy (1 min?).  This releases some of the moisture from the bananas so you can avoid the dreaded Soggy Loaf--but it still leaves all the delicious banana-y flavor.  A big thank you to America's Test Kitchen for that tid-bit.
4. Beat in sugar, then egg, butter and vanilla.
5. In another bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir just until flour is moistened.  NO OVER-STIRRING.
7. Pour into pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour.
9. Use all of your Self Restraint to not consume the whole thing before your significant other rolls out of bed. 

At least that's my step 9.

No comments: