Tuesday, March 19, 2013

on my bookshelf : winter 2012/13

Hey, look at this!  My book posts might finally get in sync with the actual seasons.  With spring starting tomorrow, I figured it was a good time to let you know what I've been reading to get me through these l oooooooooong winter months.

The Tiger's Wife : :
A woman sets out to find out the truth about her grandfather's death.  I liked the stories within the story going on in this one.
“My mother always says that fear and pain are immediate, and that, when they're gone we're left with the concept, but not the true memory.” 

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky : : Heidi W. Durrow
Well, this book was really interesting, and it was a quick read.  But it had some super-sad stuff going on.  Yeesh!
"It's easy to smile just to make other people feel better.  But when a person fakes happy, it has edges.  Regular people may not see, but the people who count, they can see edges and lines where your smile ends and the real you, the sadness or the anger begins."


The Passage : : Justin Cronin
Vampire Fiction? Really?  OK, I'm reading vampire fiction.  Have I ever told you about my fascination with zombies/end of the world nonsense?  Probably not, because I'm ashamed to admit that I'm drawn to it.  UUUGH, I'm totally hooked on this and now you know.  And this is the first book of a trilogy.  So you know what you'll be seeing next time.
“Sara waited a respectful time, knowing there was nothing she could do to ease the woman's pain. Grief was a place, Sara understood, where a person went alone. It was like a room without doors, and what happened in that room, all the anger and the pain you felt, was meant to stay there, nobody's business but yours.”

The Cellist of Sarajevo : : Steven Galloway
This book was so so so sad because, although the characters are fictional, it's set in war-torn Sarajevo...a scenario that was all too real.  OK, I'm about to get really deep with you here.  I have been coming across similar themes several times in the books I've been reading (specifically, The Passage, Sarah's Key, this one...) - captured with this quote:
“Because civilization isn't a thing that you build and then there it is, you have it forever. It needs to be built constantly, recreated daily. It vanishes far more quickly than he ever would have thought possible. And if he wishes to live, he must do what he can to prevent the world he wants to live in from fading away. As long as there's war, life is a preventative measure.”
...which also relates to a point in The Happiness Project (Gretchen Rubin) that I love:
"What you do every day matters more than what you do once in awhile." Don't you agree??

OK, on a lighter note...my very latest read is

Mrs. Frisby & The Rats of Nimh : : Robert C. O'Brien
I just loved this book as a child, so I thought I should reread it. And since I want to end on a light note, here's the quote I'll leave you with because it makes me laugh!
"'I picked up the string. It got tangled on my foot.  I sat on the fence to try to get it off, and it caught on the fence.'
'Why did you pick up the string?'
The crow, who was very young indeed--in fact, only a year old--said wearily, 'Because it was shiny.'"

Who could blame him?

No comments: