Monday, July 23, 2012

ice cream story

Um....is it crystal clear yet just how much I love desserts?  If not, here's another post to help you understand.  So we had a date night and somehow ended up at Molly Moon's ice cream shop in Wallingford.  How on earth did that happen?  Well anyway, as we were standing in the (actually pretty short) line, I laid my eyes on this item:
 ?!?! Molly Moon has an ice cream cookbook?? How did I not know this existed?  So of course I purchased it and spent the drive home deciding which recipe to make first.  Since I had a hard time deciding between the Stumptown Coffee and Scout Mint, and since Scout Mint won, I knew I had to make the coffee ice cream first.
 So the process involved "marinating" ground espresso beans with the milk, cream, and sugar over night, then pouring the mixture through a "fine mesh sieve" which we don't have....so I tried using cheesecloth and a strainer.  I can't say that it worked that well.
  But after a couple of passes through this contraption, I thought it had reached an edible substance.
 Then you put the mixture into your ice cream maker and let it do the rest. I added chopped chocolate pieces in the final mixing minute.  Then into the freezer to set a bit.  The hardest part about making ice cream is the waiting!
Final verdict: it was yummy but WAY strong!  We were afraid to eat much before bed, thinking we'd be up all night. So, through no fault of Molly Moon, this attempt was a bit of a flop.  But, you know what it means? I'm just going to have to try again. So sad... :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just curious how much espresso beans you used? It sounds great! I think I have to get the book and try it out.

Molly Wiecks said...

Hi there! The recipe called for 1 cup of ground beans.