Wednesday, May 30, 2012

on my bookshelf : spring 2012

here are my spring reads!


The Glass Castle : : Jeannette Walls
After reading "Half Broke Horses" I couldn't wait to read "The Glass Castle."  Whoa, this book was sort of sad!  Still a really good book, but a tad heartbreaking.  Read it!

Room : : Emma Donaoghue
My little sis promised me that I'd fly through this one...and I did!  Written from a 5-year-old's point of view, it's actually a pretty scary story but the way it's told from his perspective makes it a little more bearable.  But I still had to skim through some parts because I was too scared (do you ever do that?).

Bossypants : : Tina Fey
I've been putting off reading this book because I kept hearing how hilarious it is.  I wanted to save it for just the right time.  Well I couldn't put it off anymore, I'm reading it right now and it IS hilarious! My friend Helena said she has the audio version, and hearing the stories in Tina Fey's own voice is priceless.  I believe it!

Henry and Ribsy : : Beverly Cleary
So my students were doing book reports in April, which led me to read about 10 children's books in about 10 days (awesome!).  My favorite was "Henry and Ribsy" - mostly because of the main character's name.  I remember LOVING the Henry and Ribsy/Ramona books when I was a kid.  Made me look forward to giving my Henry a horrible home haircut, buying him a rowdy mutt, and making him take out the trash.  Someday. 

Cutting for Stone : : Abraham Verghese
This is another one of those books that KEEPS appearing on my Amazon recommends list and all the bestseller lists.  However I'm having a really hard time getting into it.  Will have to give the update next time....hopefully I won't have given up on it.  I'm not a quitter!

1 comment:

emily said...

Don't give up on cutting for stone. Took me until 2/3 into it before it got GOOD!