Thursday, November 15, 2012

family baptismal gown

My Grandma Jeanne made this beautiful gown for my brother's baptism in 1975.
Since then, 11 babies in the family have worn it.  This Sunday, Henry will be #12!  Every child's name and date of birth is embroidered along the bottom.  So this week it was my job to a) make sure the gown actually fit my Chunky Monkey before trying to stuff him into it during Mass and b) stitch his name and info onto the gown.

(there's me!)

(front)

 (back)

 
(Henry's the first one on row 4!  Please excuse this terrible photo.  Shooting white-on-white is tricky, and a pro photographer I am not.)

Let me tell you that it was no easy task to dress my chubby baby in this extra-delicate family heirloom, making sure not to rip, tear or smudge the fabric and trying to keep him from shoving handfuls of the garment into his mouth every five seconds.  But, luckily, it fit.  I do have a few more things to say on the subject:

1. The tear on the left sleeve was already there (not my fault)
2. Elastic is an invention that should be celebrated by mothers everywhere.

So yes, sadly there were a few rips and seams unraveling.  My conscience wouldn't let me just leave them, so I did some fix-ups oh-so-carefully because

3. Few things are more terrifying than partially dismantling an extra-delicate family heirloom with the intention to "fix" it.  *furrows brow and says 10 Hail Marys*

Luckily again, everything went as planned.  I fixed the rip on one arm-hole and even added tiny elastic pieces should there be some future babies with body-builder biceps.  The top snap also need reinforcing along with the binding near the neck.  If I kept looking I probably would have found more ways to give it love, but I had to draw the line, because nap-time was about over.

So the garment is ready--all that remains on this list is: keep baby from expelling any bodily fluids on it.  I'll let you know how that one goes.

No comments: