Saturday, April 7, 2012

H is for...

 Henry! That's what we've decided to call our sweet baby boy.  Today I made this wall-hanging for the nursery.  It's been swimming around in my imagination for a few weeks and it was #1 on my to-do list today!  Not to brag, people, but no Pinterest was needed here...this one was all me!

I started with a 18"x18"canvas - on sale at Joann's when I bought it!  First I sewed on the big "H".  I just printed an H on paper, trimmed it, traced it on gray fabric, and used Heat Bond Lite to adhere it to the background fabric in right spot.  Then I used my sewing machine's zig-zag stitch to sew it down.  (The Heat Bond Lite really helps to keep clean lines and prevent future fraying - love that stuff!)  Then I printed and traced "enry" onto the background fabric (I always use these fine point water soluble markers for marking designs before embroidering...the marks disappear immediately when you apply a damp cloth.  Magical!)  Then I stitched it with dark gray embroidery floss.


Same thing with the yellow whale...which doesn't show up that well in the pictures, but you can see it better in real life!

Then I wrapped the whole thing tightly around the canvas, using a regular stapler to tack it into place...

 ...and finally, gave the back a finished look by hot gluing (new hot glue gun!  Can you believe I didn't own one for the last 10 years?) a grosgrain ribbon all along the back edges.

Ta Da!

No comments: