Monday, April 9, 2012

easy cradle sheet

I hope my previous post didn't indicate that I'm above Pinterest or anything, because man do I love it! I've been pinning sewing tutorials and tons of baby ideas. I used this tutorial to make a sheet for the mattress of this little cradle that's been passed around my family!


I started with this adorable fabric (part of the splurge mentioned here) : Tree Stripe in Shroom (Monoluna Circa 52) :

The tutorial was for a crib sheet, but this mattress is obviously not as large as a crib-size mattress! So I just modified the pattern by cutting a rectangle that was 5 inches longer on each side than the mattress. (Yes, I do realize this mattress is pretty funky-looking, but like I said, it's been in the family. It's family funk.)

Then I cut a 5"x5" rectangle from each corner--this makes the mitered corners of the fitted sheet. This is super easy because you can just fold the large rectangle into fourths, then cut the rectangle from all four corners at once. Brilliant! (just make sure you don't cut on any folds)

You basically sew the corners together, make a casing all around the unfinished edge, and insert your elastic (see the tutorial itself for more detailed instructions). Boom! Fitted sheet! I have to admit that I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't known how to do this until now.
Done!

By the way, did you notice the cute little friends in the corner of the cradle? The teddy bear was a birthday present from Jamie last year when we still had our baby secret, and the other little fella is an extra special softie made especially for Henry by his Auntie Sha Sha! Love!

No comments: