Tuesday, October 1, 2013

on my bookshelf : : summer 2013


And the Mountains Echoed : : Khaled Hosseini
This is Hosseini's brand new book - author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.  
“I suspect the truth is that we are waiting, all of us, against insurmountable odds, for something extraordinary to happen to us.” 

The Language of Flowers : : Vanessa Diffenbaugh
I don't think I loved this book as much as some of my sisters (sorry!) - the story was a little out there in terms of being realistic.  If you are a mother, read this and tell me I'm wrong.  Still a worthwhile read...a quick one!
“Perhaps the unattached, the unwanted, the unloved, could grow to give love as lushly as anyone else.” 

East of Eden : : John Steinbeck
I've read this once before, but something compelled me to read it again.  Though it's a pretty sad story, it has several of my favorite elements: lots of characters, spans a long period of time, set in the past, etc. 
“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.”

Happier at Home : : Gretchen Rubin
I loved her first book and I love this one too.  Since we were home shopping/buying/selling all summer, this seemed like the perfect book.  But I haven't finished it yet!
“As I turned the key and pushed open the front door, as I crossed the threshold, I thought how breathtaking, how fleeting, how precious was my ordinary day. Now is now. Here is my treasure.”

Silver Star  : : Jeanette Walls
Her other books are favorites of mind - this one was almost as good as The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses.
I can't recall my favorite quote and I've already passed the book along!

A Game of Thrones : : George R. R. Martin
Yes, I have jumped on the Game of Thrones bandwagon.  Not for everyone, but I'm hooked!
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” 

I blew threw the 800 pages of Book 1 when I wasn't furiously cleaning the house to get it sold during the month of August.  Book 2 has not gone as quickly, since we have been busy unpacking and painting and cleaning and organizing (which is also fun!).  200ish pages to go on this one!
“People often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up.”

Jamie and I have grand visions of some DIY furniture projects for the new place--we'll see how far we get on that.  But I LOVE this book and her website, Pinterest, etc etc.  I got the book from the library but just might have to purchase my own copy!

Whew!  A summer of great reading!  Sorry, but my next post will probably be Game of Thrones 3, 4, 5.......

No comments: