Thursday, August 22, 2013

wrench bench makeover

Raise your hand if you have a collection of furniture made entirely out of old tools welded together.  Oh, hmmm, just me and my siblings?  Bet you are jealous now!  Yes, the Druffel kids are proud owners of several pieces of tool art, created by Mike Druffel.  Now a wrench bench might not be the most comfortable thing to sit on for a long period of time, but this thing's not giving out anytime soon.  Though neither rain, sleet, nor hail can destroy a wrench bench, they will cause it to rust like nobody's business.  It was high time for a wrench bench makeover! 
 Super Blahh!

 My dad always included hearts in his tool art.  This heart needs love.


I started with some good ol' scouring with a wire brush, to get the rust, dirt, and flakes of old paint off.  Then I wiped the whole thing down as best I could.

I learned all about the beauty of a spray paint handle!  These things are like $4 and so amazing!  Would also suggest using a GIANT drop cloth (or three) instead of just one small sheet.  Learned that one the hard way, but that's a different story.

A couple coats of "Royal Red" and this thing is as good as new!  Tip: don't sit on a wrench bench in shorts on a really hot day!  Unless you want a tool shape branded on your....ahem.

I made sure to hit my name-tag as well.  Love this so much! 

 So then I started looking around at all the other items in my yard....

 When I get over my new fear of spray paint I'll tackle one of these. 

No comments: