Thursday, June 20, 2013

on my bookshelf : spring 2013

It's the last day of spring!  That means it's time to tell you about what I've been reading.

I'm so into NONfiction right now!  Maybe since I'm not going to school or teaching school, I feel like I need some sort of learning in my life.

Toddler 411: : Denise Fields and Ari Brown
If you're a new parent, I totally recommend Baby 411 and Toddler 411 as handy reference guides for all the little questions that pop up.   They frequently cite their sources, which is very important and reassuring to me.  Nothing like a good 'ol print book in this internet age.  Plus, don't you love the toddler picture on the front?  Wow, I guess all toddlers are cranksters....grreat.

How to Talk so Your Kids Will Listen...and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk : : Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Why did I feel compelled to read this when my child is only 12 months old?  That's a great question. I always meant to read it as a teacher and BOY do I wish I had.  One of the hardest parts of teaching (and, I'm guessing parenthood, though I don't really know yet) is dealing with the emotional and social issues kids have.  This book has some great suggestions!

The Honest Life : : Jessica Alba
I bought this book because I've been thinking a lot about the millions of chemicals swimming around in everything we eat, clean with, etc. and I kept hearing about it.  I wouldn't call it THE #1 resource on clean living, but it had some interesting info and was very easy reading.  I can honestly say that the way this book is written is slightly annoying, and its kind of funny that there are chapters on fashion and home decor.  Best part about it?  The pictures of her ADORABLE kids!  And, I ordered some of the products from her website and really like some of them (shampoo, conditioner, bathroom cleaner...)

The Twelve : : Justin Cronin
Sequel to The Passage - my vampire fiction guilty pleasure.  Pretty awesome, but I like books about monsters more when the monsters are super mysterious - almost just the idea of monsters.  In this book we get up close and personal with some vampire friends.  Intense!  Haven't raced to pick up the last book...
Fav Quote: “Kittredge had obviously misjudged her, but he had learned that was the way with most people. The story was never the story, and it surprised you, how much another person could carry.”

The Round House : : Louise Erdrich
This book was TOTALLY different than most stuff I've been reading.  A mystery, really well written, with interesting characters and setting. Read it!
Fav Quote: “This so gnawed at him on some nights that he lay awake wondering just how many unknown and similarly inconsequential accidents and bits of happenstance were at this moment occurring or failing to occur in order to ensure he took his next breath, and the next.”

Winds of War : : Herman Wouk
Back to familiar territory: WWII. If you want to brush up on your WWII history, this book (and it's second part, see below) is a great choice.  I learned a lot!
Fav Quote: “Peace, if it ever exists, will not be based on the fear of war, but on the love of peace. It will not be the abstaining from an act, but the coming of a state of mind.”

War and Remembrance: : Herman Wouk
Second of the two books, as stated above.  I'm still listening to this one on Audible, so no favorite quote yet.  I still have 27ish hours (!!!) left to go and I'm only halfway through!  PS.  Henry MUCH prefers Caspar Babypants in the car, over boring audio books.  Shoot!

No comments: