Saturday, October 6, 2012

roots of empathy

Henry is now a baby superstar...at least among these first graders.

We found out about the Roots of Empathy program through our PEPS coordinator--and decided to participate since I'm missing the classroom so much!  Quick description, from the Roots of Empathy website:
"Over the school year, a trained Roots of Empathy Instructor guides the children as they observe the relationship between baby and parent, understanding the baby’s intentions and emotions. Through this model of experiential learning, the baby is the “Teacher” and a catalyst, helping children identify and reflect on their own feelings and the feelings of others."

Henry and I will visit once per month throughout the school year.  There is a special teacher (shown here to my left) who facilitates the visits.  The kids were so adorable.  They were enamored with Henry, and anyone who loves my baby is a fan of mine!


They had lots of questions (Can he walk?  Can he feel scared? Can he go to sleep by himself?) I had to restrain myself from morphing into full-on teacher mode.









 
Henry was on his best behavior--he didn't even come close to fussing the whole time!  It was so fun to be in a classroom again, and it made me realize how much I miss it.  However, it was also a lot of fun driving away at 2:45 without a bag full of papers to correct!

2 comments:

emily said...

What a little star pupil! So cute!

emily said...

Cutest show and tell ever!